Dubai is the most densely populated city of the United Arab Emirates and one of the largest tourist centers of the Middle East. The city lies on the southeastern coast of the Persian Gulf, 123 km northeast from the capital of the UAE – the city of Abu Dhabi, 4 km southwest from Sharjah. This city does not stop changing and surprising, each day preparing something new for its guests and residents. Only several things remain unchanged: the city’s rapid upward movement, the stunning shopping, the unusual architecture and grandeur of the projects, the rich entertainment and nightlife and the desert, where this modern city appeared.
It was not noticeable yet 60-70 years ago, but today, Dubai has become one of the most important financial, commercial, tourist and transport points in the world.
The emirate is offering its guests the most unexpected leisure options: a huge aquarium with thousands of marine animals, a mountain-skiing center in the height of eternal summer, exhibitions of all possible arts of world significance, different festivals and unforgettable impressions from the artificial islands and breathtaking skyscrapers. Visit them all with the help of car rental in Dubai Airport!
Many tourists are hesitating to visit the UAE because of the cultural differences. In order to make your stay comfortable, here are ten useful Dubai travel tips.
- Shopping is a famous specialty of the United Arab Emirates. Here, there are dozens of shopping centers, filled with various goods: from souvenirs to highly specialized women’s clothing-niqabs, which are leaving only the eyes visible. The same specific vast scale is felt, for example, in jewelry boutiques: the tourists are visiting not just the shops, but also the ‘Gold & Diamond Park’. The fans of hot-temperate eastern bargaining would be pleased as well, as in the shops on the Sharjah street, you can profitably lower the price of a luxurious carpet or sharp-pointed shoes. In the Bur Dubai district, on Al Fahidi Street (just on the way from the Historical Museum to the Iranian district of Bastakia), the Indian store “Lucky Kids” is located. Basically, here are sold the Indo-Chinese goods and all kinds of saris, but in the depths of the second hall you will find the 100% Pashmina stoles!
The lightest, softest, finest scarves, from the Himalayan goats’ fur fibers, are sold for only 15 dirhams!
- If during your visit to Dubai you plan to skydive over the Palm Jumeirah, bear in mind that your participation in this adventure should be booked in advance. This is especially needed for those, who are doing it for the first time (it automatically implies a tandem with an instructor, who is having his own working schedule). If you have chosen a specific date or a day off for your skydive experience, it should be booked no later than a month before that very day.
- In restaurants, the tips are not traditionally accepted. In the lush restaurants, a service fee could be included in the total bill. Nevertheless, to thank an attentive waiter, you may leave a small cash reward of 10% from the order amount, it will be accepted with gratitude.
- The attitude to alcohol in Dubai is ambiguous. The guests are offered a wide range of alcoholic drinks in every restaurant and bar, but their usage is allowed only in the places, which are specially made for it. The appearance on the street in a state of intoxication is a public order contravention, and in some cases may result in large monetary penalty.
- Travelers should remember several local rules of etiquette. When entering the house or mosque, you should take off your shoes. When you are giving or taking money, food or other objects, you should use only your right hand. Very carefully choose the clothing for going outside. The extravagant and bright outfits, as well as a revealing attire, could cause confusion to others. It is not allowed to visit the religious sites and other places of interest in such clothing.
- It is better not to take photographs of the local residents without their permission. This is considered an act of disrespect and bad manners. For the religious reasons, it is completely prohibited for the women, who are wearing long black clothes, to be on the photos. Moreover, you are not allowed to take pictures of strategically important objects (police stations, airport area or sea piers).
- Be prepared for an original check at Dubai airport: in addition to border and customs precession, the retina would be also scanned here. Your data would be put in the state register. In case someone commits a crime- this person would be deported from the country with no possibility to return back again. The procedure itself is completely painless and fast. You would wait for your turn no longer than five minutes.
- The best time for the rest in Dubai is the period from October to May. At this time, the most favorable weather prevails. In summer, the air temperature is about 40 degrees. This weather is perfect for a holiday on the beach, but the excursion program would be minimal.
- The voltage of the electricity network could be from 220 to 240 V, most of the hotels have English-style sockets. The necessary adapters for the electrical appliances could be taken at the hotel or purchased at any supermarket.
- In Dubai, the tourist police is now operating. The conversation with the tourists would be held in English, German, Russian, Arabic, and Indian. In case of getting into an unpleasant situation, make a toll-free call (8004438).