Electricity plays a major role in our life, in both our office and household. Thanks to privatization of electricity, we now enjoy a continuous flow of electricity to all regions. Power cuts are now rare occasions, allowing us to work unceasingly throughout the day. SMC meter boxes are used in residential areas, electricity boards, commercial areas and hospitals where an uninterrupted electricity flow is needed for performance. This article talks about what an SMC meter is and its uses, and what we need to look out for when buying one.
- What is an SMC meter box?
SMC meter boxes are installed to keep records of the consumption of electricity over a period of billing cycle. They are installed in every residential or commercial area, shops, electricity boards, factories and hospitals. They can be easily installed by a competent professional with LT CT fitted in them, and are then attached to the transformer. It reads the amount of electricity consumed by the particular establishment and the consumer receives their electricity based on the readings.
- Where are SMC meter boxes installed?
SMC meter boxes are installed at the entrance of the domestic space, while it is usually designated a special place in commercial establishments. This is done to prevent any sparks in case of fluctuating voltage, and to protect the unit. For safety, there are separate rooms made in commercial areas, to manage the electrical fittings.
- Safety measures
SMC meter boxes come with special features to ensure the best performance and maximum protection from possible manipulation, voltage fluctuations, short-circuits and fires.
- Concealing – SMC meter boxes are designed so that they can’t be opened easily, and the meter officer can recognize any tampering with them. This is an essential feature otherwise meter boxes could be manipulated to showing less amount of reading to receive a lesser amount of bill.
- Durability – They are made from quality components; therefore, they last for a long time and are not affected by uneven voltage.
- Shock proof – In addition to being immune to fluctuating voltage, their exteriors are bad conductors of electricity to protect the mechanism in the meter box. They can withstand heavy rains and high temperature.
- Corrosion-resistant – Meter boxes are made of high quality plastic, and are resistant to corrosion. They require no maintenance as they do not rust or corrode due to the weather.
- Easy installation – Meter boxes are easy to install on walls as they come with ports on the top, side and bottom so that LT cables can be attached to these boxes.
- Choosing a reliable SMC meter box
It is important to choose a reliable meter box for reading, otherwise the company will be left estimating usage and charge accordingly. As meter reading is a critical part of power supply, a reliable meter box will get you the right electricity bills.
- Accurate bills – Your electricity meter is read four times a year. Either you can submit regular meter readings and minimize the estimated amount of consumption, or the company can update the amount by reading the quarterly amount from electricity networks. Therefore, you will know the exact amount of consumption and what you need to pay.
- Submit reading before receiving bill – If you submit the reading before receiving the bill, you can decrease the number of days of estimation. You can do this either offline or online. You can also use free reading reminders for your power consumption, as they are set as per your billing period.
It is important to keep a safety manual in mind when looking for the best SMC meter box for your specific purpose. Once you find the perfect box, you can read it by yourself using a guide. Thus, by informing yourself, you will be saving both electricity and money.