Some of us would relate to the Nokia 3310 as their first phone, some would recall it as the beloved phone of a family member or a friend, and some (the young generation) remember the phone from the jokes and memes celebrating its sturdiness and battery life. Nokia 3310 was all of that and much more (everything to make you nostalgic).
And, it is back. The announcement at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona on February 26, 2017 by HMD Global regarding the launch of the new avatar of Nokia 3310 reopened the debate of what features are most sought after by the consumers.
Let’s revisit the features that established the old Nokia 3310 and see whether these are included in the latest phone.
- Battery Life: Nokia phones are well known for their battery life not because the battery was all that great but probably because the latest smartphones that we use consume a lot of power and therefore, the battery drains faster than ever. The new phone claims to give approximately 22 hours of talk time.
- Look and Feel: The look of the phone is primarily the same as the old phone with a few interesting tweaks like a little longer screen. The phone will be available in interesting contemporary colors (red, black, grey, and yellow) to give it a quirky touch. The key placement is almost the same.
- Snake Charm: All Nokia phone users can instantly remember the snake game and the hours that one could spend playing it. The new Nokia 3310 will have the same snake game. Let’s keep our fingers crossed for the same appeal and engagement.
The new Nokia 3310 is not about everything classic. A few modifications have been made to meet the minimum expectations that today’s users have from their phones. Let’s look at the new features.
- Camera: A 2 MP camera is what you will get with the phone along with in-built LED flash. This is nowhere near to the contemporary phones but then the addition is appreciated and it seems that this is just a bonus for users who would buy Nokia for their sheer love.
- Single and Dual SIM: This is a great feature because a user might keep this phone as a savior in cases of emergency. So, you can switch SIMs or keep two SIMs in this phone and go all the way without a charger.
- Storage: The time when Nokia 3310 was launched, the phone memories were not a big thing. The phone could store very less messages and contacts. Now, the new phone has 16 MB storage which can be expanded up to 32 GB.
- USB Port: There is this other well understood update. This meets up to the contemporary phones so, you will no longer be looking for the old thin pin charger. You can comfortably transfer data and songs using in-the-pack Micro-USB chord.
What Does It Cost?
After reading all the wonderful promises, you would be wondering about the price. The phone is priced at € 49. The contents in the box include phone, charger, and headset. See the design of the phone and the detailed specifications from the official website which terms the phone as— “The icon is back.”
It would be interesting to see how the phone performs in the market and the business opportunities it opens up for the other companies—just like Apple for an iPhone app development company. Maybe more companies would like to create application for such phones which do not promise anything fancy but assure you the best basics.